Monday, October 8, 2007

Posso chiedere un'informazione?

Ok, so I'm always asking what would seem to be stupid questions because things aren't always clear and I want to make sure. For example, generally when getting on a bus, I ask the driver whether it's going where I think it is. Stuff like that. I think I know, but it would sure stink to be wrong. I don't think I'd ever really thought about it before, but in my mind it was always because I was a foreigner and not quite clued in to everything that's going on.

So the other day when Chris and I were boarding the bus to go to Siracusa I didn't have to ask the driver whether this was the bus for Siracusa because I had already overheard about three other people, all Italians, ask the same question. Suddenly a light bulb went off in my head. Yes, I'm a clueless foreigner, but maybe not as clueless as I've thought. Maybe things really are just confusing here. Even for the locals. Since then I've been watching the locals and I've noticed this: they are always asking for information. They never know what's going on. The signs are either non-existent or confusing so you just have to ask. It's the culture. The world, here, is negotiated verbally.

The fun part is when they ask me for information. About 8 times out of 10 I understand the question. 1 time out 10 I actually know the answer. Which I think is pretty good for my first week back in over six years, thank you very much. The other 90% of the time, well, I've seen some pretty disappointed faces. C'est la vie.