Monday, October 8, 2007

Niente

Sunday's main task was to accompany Chris to the airport. Took the bus back to the center of town and walked back from Piazza Duomo, winding through some streets that are up the hill and west of Villa Bellini in order to see some more of the town I haven't seen yet this trip. Still more or less looks the same, but it's an interesting sensation to re-explore and remember streets from six years ago.

Finally got my mom to take the plunge and dial the number I gave out for my Skype line. It's just like a telephone. You can call me and I can call you. Just like that. Caught up with a friend of mine here in Catania, finally, too, by telephone. Got some very sad news that I haven't been able to stop thinking about since. I will hopefully see him again soon in person in the next couple of days.

Today I had a couple of errands to run but found out that apparently it's common for shops to not be open Monday mornings. I think Monday is kind of a dead day, in general--I know many restaurants are closed or have limited menus on Mondays. The Catanesi prefer to ease into the week, apparently. Not so the cleaning lady, though, who was here at 10am sharp. Which was partly why I wanted to do my errands today. And also why instead of making lunch, I went to a pizzeria by the seaside for a pizza. Only they didn't have pizza because it was Monday, so I got Penne alla Norma instead. Oh well. I'll either try my errands again this afternoon or go to the beach. Hmmm.

Also asked the landlord's wife about a laundry (lavenderia) nearby, since I really need to wash some clothes. The first place she sent me to was actually a dry cleaner's (lavasecco). I decided to try again, since I didn't feel like paying 3 euro per item cleaned. This time I think I have the coordinates of a coin laundry (lavenderia a gettone) that I haven't actually tracked down yet. Actually, that's probably what I'll end up doing this afternoon.

It's become clear that my sore throat is actually due to a mild sinus infection. It's possible to get our shower very, very hot and steamy so I've been subjecting myself to some sauna treatment, as hot as I can stand. It seems to be having an effect, so hopefully I can kill these wee beasties without having to track down a doctor and get antibiotics. That's what I'll be doing right now. I want to be healthy for my guests. Laura is next, arriving on Friday.