Saturday, November 3, 2007

I am blanking in Italy

Ohmigod, I am blogging in Italy! That has been the theme of the day. I am on my way to Italy! I am drinking coffee in Italy! I am eating olives in Italy! I am drinking wine in Italy! Most recently, I am eating green beans in Italy...you see where this is going? This theme may end soon--or Rossi and Christa may kill me first. That's OK. Because now I truly feel blank in Italy. Jet lag, sleep deprivation...it's almost time to sleep and that's gonna feel so good.

We got over the cold, cold plane, the difficulty of cramped seating for sooo long, the painful popping ears, my temporary bank card problem in Italy...now, we're just so glad to be here and so delirious from lack of sleep. We are truly amazed at how easy the flight, customs, etc. have been. Surely we will have a horrible travel experience on the way home to make up for this.

It's almost 10pm and we just ate the best dinner from food we picked out at the fiera market today--a mystery fish that is a kind of like sword fish and a little like tuna, that Chris has temporarily named "tword (toward?) fish." Thanks to Chris for choosing our fish, our produce, purchasing it in the market as we stood behind him, unable to decipher most of what was transpiring--and then he cooked and served it to us. I never knew fresh tomatoes & green beans could taste so good. Plus, we have some very inexpensive wine from a wholesaler that is right next door. Not a bad neighbor to have, eh?

Christa and I are fading fast, but proud to still be awake at 10pm new time. We're half planning our week, halfway asleep, but feeling good. I have to say to my mom that I have already had that first glass of wine for you here. And to my dad--that we actually just listened to Dean Martin's "That's Amore!" I'd say we're off to a good start.

Next: sleeping in Italy!