Sunday, September 30, 2007

Saturday in Nantwich

Slept from midnight to noon.

We went to the food festival today. It's an annual event. I meant to grab my sister's camera but forgot, so no pictures. My sister lives in rural England, so there are lots of good, fresh farm products available. I home in on booths with local foods, ignoring the Mediterranean and wine booths. I'm heading to the source on Monday, anyway. Cheeses were the easiest to get samples of, so I had quite a few tastes of local cheese. My favorite, probably not too surprisingly, is the mature cheddar. The more mature, the better. It reminds me a lot of a provolone piccante, but is creamier. I'm considering buying a hunk to take to Italy with me. I was intrigued by the wide variety of smoked meat and fish, but there were not free samples forthcoming for those.

We had lunch at the fair. My sister and I opted for a taste of the local Indian food.

Nantwich is kind of interesting architecturally. They have buildings that are centuries old and buildings that were built last year, so there is quite a bit of variety. I think one of my favorite buildings is an old 17th century pub that has obviously, uhmm, settled a good bit. Makes it look kind of like it was built by a drunk person, although I'm guessing there were probably some straight lines in it when it was originally built. We ducked very quickly into a church in the middle of town, just to have a peek. Very pretty. Especially the stained glass. I tested the acoustics from where the choir stands and it sounded quite nice. They asked me to sign the guest book so I signed it "Captain Saturn."

Back at Karen and Rich's house, mostly Wii and TV, with dinner thrown in there somewhere. I have to admit, that the Wii is pretty addictive--I'm sure I'll get tired of it soon enough, though. I hope I do, anyway. I also have to admit that on average, TV is probably a good bit smarter and more entertaining than what we have. Even the stupid TV, which let's be honest, is most of it. So I guess I'm saying their stupid TV is smarter than our stupid TV or something like that. Or maybe it's just that everyone has a British accent. Karen and Rich made three kinds of sausage, lamb burgers, roasted potatoes, and salad with huge hunks of tasty cheese (I missed what kind) in it. Had some sort of German ale with it that was quite tasty. The name, which I forget, means strong in German, which it is. Although it doesn't taste alcoholic the way many high alcohol beers do. Reminiscent of a Trappiste Ale--same basic family.

Dessert was ice cream with a store bought dulce de leche from a squeeze bottle (never seen that before.)

I obviously must still have a bit of jet lag, since I'm up at 2 and don't feel all that tired. I'm going to go lay in the dark for a while, though, and see if my body takes the hint.